Thursday, 19 April 2012

Cats and the Sea

Here is a another sample of my bumbling progress into printmaking, it is a really quite an awful print! My goal at the moment is to do a little more actual printing and learn to make some nice impressions from the blocks; so much time is spent carving and learning to carve that at some point I forgot I would actually need to spend as much time if not more, learning to print.

Since the last print I showed, blue has obviously appeared, this is from the first colour block. I had registration issues which have been largely corrected by adding some tiny wedges of wood into the registration marks, or kento. This was what made this block interesting for me, and in the end very rewarding as I had previously though these adjustments probably a little beyond me. Now I must learn to banish the blotchyness!

I should mention that I have been finding solutions to my many problems in David Bull's wonderful ebook and support forum. If you are reading this because you are looking in to woodblock printing, you should get his ebook if you don't already have it, as it is excellent.

No comments: