Monday, 10 December 2012

A is for Azathoth

I'm going to do a full series of drawings from H.P Lovecraft's "Cthulu mythos," an ABC of the genre. I started listening to some recordings of his books quite recently and thought they were a bit trashy but a lot of fun all the same, now I can't get enough!

M.R James and Algernon Blackwood are what drew my interest to "strange tales" but their terrors are subtle and best left unseen by the reader. Lovecraft on the overhand abounds with cavorting, otherworldly tentacles, who could resist!

2 comments:

Jessica M. Boehman said...

15 nJames, a kid I met at a show told me that Cthulu was his favorite mythological beast. :) I thought it was a very creative answer.

Jessica
Hans-My-Hedgehog Illustrations

Jim said...

Hi Jessica, that is a great answer! I wonder if he read "The Call of Cthulhu for Beginning Readers."

I'm 90% sure my answer would have been "Dragon," safe and unimaginative :)